Monday, March 17, 2008

So Big!

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a taiko fundraiser benefiting the local Japanese immersion program. One of the highlights was the Roll-Your-Own-Sushi booth. That's right, for four raffle tickets, you could make your own California roll, with the aid of the friendly Japanese people staffing the booth. First, we were provided with a sheet of nori with sushi rice. Then, there was a plate full of toppings (imitation crab, cucumber, egg, roe, avocado) to add. After that, with a quick squeeze of a bamboo mat, presto, I had my own personal California roll.

When I got to the part of the station where the nice Japanese lady cuts your sushi, she lifted her knife and remarked, "So big!" I was a little embarrassed because I was with a friend who clearly heard the comment. My roll didn't seem incredibly large to me - I just wanted all the toppings, but I didn't want any gaps. (It's just terrible when a bite of roll is missing a key piece of avocado, for example.) The Japanese lady kept saying stuff to me in Japanese, but I just smiled and nodded. If you allow a Chinese person into a roll-your-own-sushi line, you have to expect that you are going to get some "so big!" rolls.

The solution: make your own rolls at home, where you can yell, "So big!" out loud freely! With no shame! In your underwear!

(*Note: I did not make the below-depicted sushi wearing only underwear, but you get the point. )

No comments: